- We are pleased to announce and welcome Suchitra J.Satpathi to our firm’s New Orleans office as of December 2016. She will help lead our governmental relations team in setting legislative and lobbying agendas for both our private and public entity client base. Suchitra most recently served in Mayor Landrieu’s Administration as a Senior Policy Advisor for State and International Affairs following a successful tenure as the Mayor’s Executive Counsel. Prior to joining the Landrieu Administration, Suchitra provided legal advice andserved as the Executive Director of the Louisiana Legislative Black Caucus. Her impressive resume includes her Bachelor’s Degree in English from Xavier University, her Masters inAfrican American Studies and her Juris Doctor from Temple University. Her depth of experience includes her private law practice, her public service to the City of New Orleans, and her tenure as an associate Professor of English. Suchitra will strengthen the firm’s presence in the governmental relations field, both locally and state wide on important issues such as education, finance, governmental ethics, healthcare and tax policy. Welcome Aboard!
We are pleased to announce that Tim Hardy has been elected as a Director to the Association of Community College Trustees Board at its Leadership Conference held recently in New Orleans. Tim is a member of our Management Committee and leads our Environmental Law Practice. He is currently serving as Chairman of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System Board of Supervisors. We are grateful for Tim's leadership and service within the firm, on a state level and now on a national level.
The Firm is pleased to announce that the following shareholders have recently received peer recognition both locally and nationally. This recognition is an affirmation of firm wide talent as no one attorney is better than the team assembled to help them succeed. Many attorneys on the team have equal or better credentials than those who have been recently recognized.
Tom Balhoff: "Best Lawyers in America" for Insurance, Labor and Employment, Mass Tort and Class Action Litigation (2015-);
Wayne Fontana: "Leadership in Law" by New Orleans City Business. Wayne serves as our Managing Shareholder in New Orleans;
Deborah Harkins: "Best Lawyers in America" for Governmental Relations and Gaming Law; and by New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" for Governmental Relations
Luke Piontek: "Best Lawyers in America" for Energy Law;
Charles (Chuck) Pisano: "Best Lawyers in America" for Class Action and Mass Tort Litigation;
Larry Roedel: "Best Lawyers in America" for Litigation--Bet the Company, Commercial and Construction Litigation. Larry serves as our Managing Shareholder in Baton Rouge.
The "Best Lawyers in America" is a publication by US News & World Report which surveys the legal profession for each jurisdiction in which the firm practices. New Orleans City Business and New Orleans Magazine each conduct surveys in their respective areas of circulation.
Thanks to all volunteers who have helped our City and Region begin its recovery from the massive flooding. Our homes and vehicles can be replaced. Our people and relationships cannot. We are open for business, ready to assist families, friends and clients with legal, practical and day to day needs. This event has been "our Katrina without the wind". We will respond as we did in 2005-as quickly and efficiently as possible. Let us know how we can help you.
Congratulations to Wayne Fontana who has been recognized by New Orleans City Business as a member of the 2016 Leadership in Law. Wayne has served the Greater New Orleans Region and the legal profession for many years. He currently serves as a member of our Management Committee and leads our New Orleans office. He will be featured in an upcoming edition of City Business. Thank you Wayne for leading by example
The Baton Rouge office had a good showing at the Red Stick Gumbo Cook-off on Saturday, February 20th in support of the non-profit organization, KIDS. A great big thanks goes to David Fleshman and Sadie Smith for taking a leadership role in this annual event. While our cooking team did not bring home the first place trophy, our supporters, helpers, families, and taste testers had a wonderful Saturday for a very worthy cause. A good time was had by all.
Our firm is pleased to announce the election of three new Shareholders for 2016. They are Skye Fantaci, Shannon Frese and Christian Rhodes. Each of these outstanding young attorneys practice in our New Orleans Office and help lead their respective sections.
Skye Fantaci's practice focuses on defense litigation including insurance coverage and worker's compensation trials and appeals. She serves her community as a Board Member of the Salvation Army of New Orleans, a Board Member of the Second Harvest Food Bank and she is an active member of the Junior League of New Orleans.
Shannon Frese has a litigation practice which also includes insurance coverage and defense and worker's compensation trials and appeals. She currently serves at the Louisiana State Bar Association as an active member.
Christian Rhodes divides his time between the firm's Governmental Relations practice and his general litigation practice. Christian currently serves his community through the Urban League of Greater New Orleans and his profession through the New Orleans and Louisiana State Bar Associations.
For further information on each of these outstanding young attorneys, please see their website biographical information. We welcome our new Shareholders.
- We are pleased to announce that our newest associate, Johanna Kyles, has been selected to participate as a Junior Member in the Louisiana State Law Institute. The Louisiana State Law Institute is designed as an adjunct to the Legislature, serving in an advisory capacity. It is required to consider needed improvements in the law and to recommend needed reforms to eliminate defects and inequities and such changes in the law as it deems necessary to modify or remove antiquated and inequitable rules of law.
- On November 9, 2015 Luke Piontek and Shelley Ann McGlathery of our Baton Rouge office will present a CLE Seminar entitled "Attorneys Guide to Local Government Law" dealing with expropriation and eminent domain issues. The seminar focus is for governmental attorneys and public officials. For Mr. Piontek, this will be his third CLE Seminar in which he has thoroughly addressed these issues for our profession. We thank Luke and Shelley Ann for taking a lead role in this important and unique practice area.
- Some 30 plus attorneys, staff and family members from our BR office joined together on Saturday morning, September 26th for the St Jude Children's Hospital "Walk" held at Highland Road Park in Baton Rouge. This event is quite meaningful for our firm as St. Jude has ministered medically and spiritually to little Audrey, the 3 year old daughter of Cori Blache, in Memphis since May 2013. We thank Lindsey Golden of our Governmental Relations section and Sadie Smith in our Administrative section for their organizational skills in pulling our "A Team" together. Our support of St. Jude and our prayers for Audrey's healing will continue.
- Wayne Fontana and Shannon Frese of our New Orleans office recently obtained another zero judgment in their defense of employers in Workers Compensation trials. In this latest case the trial judge found fraud by the employee resulting in forfeiture of all benefits and a restitution order to pay back previous benefits received. Moreover, Wayne and Shannon persuaded the court to impose a $1,000 civil penalty payable to the Kids Chance scholarship fund and a similar $1,000 judgment for court costs and interpreter fees. Finally, the trial judge referred the case to the Fraud Section of the Office of Workers' Compensation and to the Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office for potential prosecution.
- The firm welcomes Wayne Fontana to the Management Committee (MC) effective August 1st. Wayne currently serves as the managing shareholder of our New Orleans office. He brings more than 35 years of legal experience, including his management of the very successful predecessor firm of Fontana & Seelman, to our MC at Roedel Parsons. We will benefit from his knowledge and wisdom.
- Wayne Fontana (Managing Shareholder in our New Orleans Office) will be taking a leadership role in speaking and teaching on workers' compensation issues over the next several months including: the Risk Insurance Management Society - New Orleans Chapter; the International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals; Louisiana Claims Association; the Louisiana Association of Business Industry; and the nationally recognized Certification Program for Workers' Compensation Professionals through the Louisiana Association of Self Insured Employers. In addition, Mr. Fontana regularly testifies before the Joint House and Senate Committees on workers' compensation and tort reform, the jury trial threshold and judicial transparency.
- We are pleased to announce the addition two outstanding attorneys to our firm. Joining our legal team are Deborah Harkins (Of Counsel to the Firm in our New Orleans office) and Johanna Kyles (our newest associate in the Baton Rouge office).
- Roedel Parsons is pleased to announce its selection as a Tier 1 Member for 2014-2015 by US News & World Report. This recognition reflects a combination of quality legal work over many years, an appreciative client base and mutual respect from our peer firms. It is an honor and responsibility that we take seriously.
- September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. This is meaningful to our firm in a special way. Our partner and friend (Cori Blache) has relocated to Memphis as her precious 2 year old daughter (Audrey) continues with extended treatment at St. Jude Children's Hospital. Please join us as we pray regularly for Audrey to be healed and for Cori's strength and courage as a mom. St. Jude has treated and ministered to so many Louisiana families who battle childhood cancer. We look forward to the day Cori brings Audrey home to Baton Rouge cancer free.
- Congratulations to Gayle Busch and Ross Dooley who, following one of the first cases tried under the new rules at the Louisiana Public Service Commission (PSC), successfully obtained a certificate of authority for a client to allow the disposal of non hazardous oilfield waste products on a statewide basis without restriction. Working together they have secured several transportation certificates for our regulatory clients this year. Gayle helps lead our Regulatory Practice Group, while Ross helps lead our Litigation Practice Group.
- We are pleased to announce that Roedel Parsons will serve as legal counsel to the New Orleans Aviation Board in connection with the RFP and Construction Manager at Risk process for the New Terminal Project at the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (Project). Our firm is grateful to work on such a significant Project with a lasting economic and tourism impact on our City, Region and State. The New Terminal will be completed in 2018 to mark the 300th Anniversary of the City of New Orleans. CJ Blache and Larry Roedel co-lead the legal team at Roedel Parsons with able assistance David Fleshman and Ryan Brown.
- We are pleased to announce that Ryan Brown has received the Judge Joseph Keogh Memorial Award for his community service. The Baton Rouge Bar Association has again recognized Ryan's exemplary service to our profession and to those who are less fortunate. Ryan recently co chaired the Baton Rouge Law Day event and he leads the Just Cause organization which operates year round to help others with meals, medical supplies and other necessities. Congratulations Ryan, well deserved!
- Roedel Parsons and Just Cause combined forces again this season to distribute Thanksgiving dinners to families in need in the Greater Baton Rouge area. The chilly Thanksgiving morning was offset by the warm hospitality and talented leadership shown of Ryan Brown (President) and Josh Zelden (Vice President) as some 25 plus parents, children and grandchildren participated in delivering the meals . The Firm again thanks Just Cause for its continuing commitment to civic and charitable causes in our City and Region.
- Congratulations to Tom Balhoff and Trey Jones who recently concluded the successful defense of Turner Industries Group, LLC in a jury trial in St. John The Baptist Parish arising out of construction activities in 2009. Plaintiff worked for another contractor, and was working at an elevation high above ground in a pipe rack under construction when he was injured. The plaintiff suffered serious back and knee injuries, and his attorney asked the jury for more than $1.6 million in closing. Turner was the only defendant. The jury was out for only 30 minutes before returning with a zero defense verdict.
- Roedel Parsons announces the election of 3 new members of the Management Committee(MC) for 2 year terms effective January 1, 2014. They are Carlton (Trey) Jones, III; Scott Kirkpatrick; and Luke Piontek. Mr. Jones' practice includes commercial and casualty litigation. Mr. Kirkpatrick's practice includes governmental relations and administrative law. Mr. Piontek's practice includes expropriation litigation and Public Service Commission matters. The Firm thanks Tom Balhoff, Andre Bourgeois and Dave Woolridge for their leadership on the MC as they rotate off the committee after serving well for many years.
- The firm is pleased to announce its retention as legal counsel to the Louisiana International Gulf Transfer Terminal Authority (LIGTT), which is a political subdivision created by the Louisiana Legislature to help facilitate the construction and operation of a deep water cargo terminal at Mile 0 of the Mississippi River near Southwest Pass. The facility will be the first of its kind in the United States and will allow for the off loading of large "Panama Canal--sized" container vessels and then the subsequent transshipment of those containers up the Mississippi River, into its tributaries and then throughout the United States. The LIGTT and this Project are under the direction of its Board and its President, Senator A. G. Crowe. Our firm is grateful for the opportunity to work on a Project of such economic significance for the region and state.
- Roedel Parsons has achieved a Tier 1 ranking for 2014 by "Best Lawyers in America" as published by US News & World Report. This recognition is based on peer review and client evaluations. It reflects quality work by dedicated professionals over the firm's 25 year history. We appreciate the honor and recognition by our peers and clients.
- The Firm is pleased to announce that Johanna Posada Kyles has been elected to the Southern University Law Review. Johanna is a full-time legal assistant in our Baton Rouge office and attends law school at night. She carries a straight "A" average and is currently ranked 3rd in her law school class. She is scheduled to graduate in December 2014. Congratulations Johanna on your excellent achievements and your obvious time management skills.
- As we mark our 25
th Anniversary on July 1, we are pleased to announce the arrival of 2 shareholders (Wayne Fontana and Richard Seelman) and 3 associates (Skye Fantaci, Shannon Frese and Jennifer Lewis) who will bring their litigation and workers compensation practice to our New Orleans office at 1515 Poydras Street, Suite 2330. Under the excellent leadership of Wayne Fontana, the attorneys of Fontana & Seelman will be joining Roedel Parsons and providing depth of experience and talent to our New Orleans team. Wayne will serve as the Managing Shareholder of the Firm's New Orleans office. Our Firm's long term commitment to the Greater New Orleans Area and the Southeast Louisiana Region has been significantly enhanced by the addition of these five professionals and their staff personnel.
- Shelley Ann McGlathery of our Baton Rouge office was a featured speaker at the May 1st CLE seminar in Lafayette entitled "What You Need To Know About Public Records and Open Meetings". As a current litigator and former journalist, she has the unique perspective of seeing these issues from all sides of the process. Her talk was very beneficial to the attorneys and journalists in attendance. Congratulations on an informative and timely presentation.
- We are pleased to announce that Ryan Brown of our Baton Rouge office has been selected by the Louisiana State Bar Association to receive its Pro Bono Service Award for the Young Lawyers Division at the 2013 Bench Bar Summer conference in Destin, Florida. Ryan has set an excellent example as he humbly and sacrificially serves our community and profession.
- Cori Blache and Ryan Brown of our Baton Rouge office were recognized for their volunteer service to the community by the Baton Rouge Bar Association in the April 2013 "Around the Bar" publication. Thank you for your dedication to those in need of a helping hand.
Roedel Parsons Expropriation Team Secures Litigation Victory at the Fourth Circuit: Our Expropriation Litigation Team (Luke Piontek, Shelley Ann McGlathery, Gayle Busch, Kent Parsons and Christian Rhodes) secured another significant victory on February 27, 2013 with the Medical Center of Louisiana Project in the Fourth Circuit decision of Orleans Parish School Board versus State of Louisiana, et al.
- The Fourth Circuit affirmed the ruling by Judge Paulette Irons of the Civil District Court granting LSU a Summary Judgment as a matter of law regarding the evaluation methodology for certain property within the footprint of the project. This latest decision, among others, helps assure the orderly process leading toward the timely construction and opening of the new Medical Center.